Power and Light at Sunset

Power and Light at Sunset
Beauty, Strength, and Light

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Why "Touchstone Chronicles"?

The White House
A touchstone was a black stone, like basalt, that was used to test the quality or purity of gold or silver by comparing a streak left on the stone by a sample against the streak from a known standard or sample. Thus, it was a method, gauge, or standard for testing for quality, purity, excellence. This blog is named the Touchstone Chronicles largely because I like the name and also because it is a place where we will be evaluating, comparing, and discussing supposed standards and gauges for living. We will do that by evaluating historical, psychological and philosophical issues and principles (time-tested touchstones instead of fleeting media created standards) as a means, in a sense, to better understand ourselves and to value our unique qualities and excellence. 

You may have noted that I use references to and photos from Washington D.C.  Why?  First of all, I think our Nation's Capitol, the ideals that its stands for, is a Touchstone for the world.  Also, the monuments, museums, magnificent buildings, art, and ambiance are also touchstones--world class standards for greatness.  Finally, my family members or I took the pictures during a remarkable family vacation and have come to love the place like nowhere else.  It doesn't hurt that the items in the photos and the historical quotes and events are in the public domain so that gives me great material without having to worry about copyright challenges.  My goal is to look at this material, connect it to principles I value and the book I am writing so that I can hopefully help myself and other's develop, heal, and grow.  I can write for a lifetime and never run out of material--that's a bonus too.  By the way, if you haven't been to D.C.--go.  It's life changing.

1 comment:

  1. D.C. truly is astounding. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to go, and I wish that every American could have the same chance in their lifetime to see the breath-taking monuments and buildings that act as our country's foundation. There is a grand sense of pride one experiences while visiting these historic sites, and it is an uplifting and wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete